Sent to members 08/23/2012
Welcome to Information Executive (IE), the e-newsletter by and for AITP Members! See the latest news from the Association, Regions, and Chapters. Read interesting feature articles of interest to all IT Professionals and Students.
Information Executive issues contain links to articles that have been published at the association's web site. We will periodically bundle links to recent articles and send them to you as an issue of this e-Newsletter.
This issue and past Issues of Information Executive can be found at: http://www.aitp.org/?page=PastIssuesInfoExec. This page can be found via the "AITP In the News" link in the left navigation rail.
All IE articles are available at the AITP web portal, www.aitp.org:
- In the right rail, see the "Latest News” box. It features the most recent three articles.
- Click on "More” in the "Latest News” box to find the News Page (http://www.aitp.org/news/), where you can see the latest five articles of each IE section (association, chapters, regions, features, etc.).
- Each section has a "More” link to take you to a page with all articles for that section.
- There is also a drop down box at the top of the news page where you can select a section.
Do you want to be notified immediately of new IE articles, instead of waiting for an IE issue to be emailed to you? The News pages are RSS enabled. Set up your RSS feed today.
Do you like a particular article? Have questions? Please add a comment. See the "add comment” link at the end of each article.
Do you have new, exciting information to tell your fellow AITP members – either about the Information Technology you work with, or about how your chapter or region achieved success? We encourage you to submit an article to IEeditor@aitp.org. See the "Submit IE” page (http://www.aitp.org/?page=SubmitIE) for details and rules.
In this issue of Information Executive:
- Association President Norbert Kubilus summarizes the association accomplishments in the first half of 2012, announces a new member benefit, informs us of revised membership discounts, recaps the 2013 Officer and Director election process and introduces the already selected candidates.
- AITP welcomes new members who joined our association in July 2012.
- The 2013 Association Officer and Director candidates will hold a Virtual Water Cooler call on August 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm Central. This is your opportunity to hear their views and vision for AITP. Read about which candidates have already been selected for 2013 and which candidates will face off in an election this September.
- AITP extended and modified two very popular membership discounts - the faculty advisor discount and the unemployed professional member discount. Here is the revised list of all membership discounts.
- Chapter Leaders now have access to a report of members whose email messages from AITP are "bouncing" and not being delivered. The "Bounced Email Report", which will be updated monthly, can be requested from the Chapter Reports Request page.
- Attend the AITP Annual Meeting of the Members to be held at the Region 5 Conference, October 10-11, 2012 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It is a great opportunity to meet association leaders, participate in quality educational offerings, and get hints and tips for successful chapter operations.
- The Mile High Chapter held its annual Past Presidents and Scholarship Awards Night. Also, students just back from the National Collegiate Conference gave a presentation about their experiences.
Foundation for Information Technology Education / AITP Education Special Interest Group (EDSIG) News:
- Association President Norbert Kubilus encourages members to check out the Information Systems Educator Conference (ISECON) and Conference for Applied Systems Research (CONISAR) to be held November 1 - 4, 2012 in New Orleans. Registration is now open.
- The Foundation for Information Technology Education (FITE) launched a new website at http://www.edfoundation.org/. Read about the foundation's scholarships, conferences, and programs. Learn how you can make a tax deductible contribution to help continue and expand FITE's efforts in information management education.
- Save the date and start planning your trip to the 18th Annual National Collegiate Conference (NCC) April 4-7, 2013 in St. Louis, MO.
- The National College Conference (NCC) Web Application Contest Website is now open.
- The Region 3 Student Conference, to be held October 11-13 in Lafayette, LA, offers members and their employers the opportunity to get to know (and recruit) the brightest IT students across 6 states. Be a sponsor of the Region 3 Student Conference!
- The Certificate in Data Processing (CDP), now called the Certified Computing Professional (CCP) designation turns 50 years old this September. The CDP was created by AITP (then called the Data Processing Management Association - DPMA).
- The third in a series of articles on Ethics and the Information Technology industry from former Association President and faculty member at the University of Notre Dame, Lou Berzai.
- Former AITP Association President Larry Schmitz tells us what AITP did for his career. It can do the same for your career.
- Association Director Al Strong gives us some tips on how to protect ourselves from spam emails.
- Who will control the Internet after December 2012? What are the issues? What can we do to influence the outcome? Read this story from past AITP Association Director and Region 5 President Chris Leja.
- Dr. Alan Zimmerman's Weekly Tips to help you and your organization succeed.
We appreciate your feedback about Information Executive. Please use the "Contact Us” link at the AITP web site, http://www.aitp.org/general/?type=CONTACT, to let us know how we can improve Information Executive for you.