2012 Region 5 News
Larry Schmitz, CCP, CMC
AITP Region 5 President
Region 5 was very busy in 2012. Great successes and great opportunities for our members and chapters. Here is a sampling of news and accomplishments from across the region.
Region 5 Elects 2013 Officers
The Region 5 Board of Directors elected its 2013 Officers at its fall meeting on October 11, 2012 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Serving for 2013 will be:
Chris Nimmer (Northeastern Wisconsin Chapter) - Region 5 President
Mark Gilfand (Twin City Chapter)- Region 5 Vice-President
Bill Riter (West Michigan Chapter) - Region 5 Treasurer
Dick Boenisch (Sheboygan Chapter) - Region 5 Secretary
Larry Schmitz (Northeastern Wisconsin Chapter) - Region 5 Immediate Past President
We appreciate these officers' willingness to serve the Region, who in turn, serves our chapters and members.
Fall 2012 Region Conference a Great Success
The 2012 Region 5 Fall Conference, and AITP Annual Meeting of the Members were held October10-11, at the Radisson Hotel & Convention Center in Green Bay.
Special thanks to the conference committee for all their hard work and dedication to make the conference a success and a big thank you to all those that volunteered to manage sessions during the conference. Click here
to see the conference schedule, topic details and sponsors.
Total conference attendance was 174:
See this Information Executive article for a recap of the conference: http://www.aitp.org/news/106813.
Region 5 Members to Serve on 2013 Association Board of Directors
Congratulations to the Region 5 members who stepped up to the plate, volunteered their services and were appointed to the 2013 Association Board of Directors (ABoD)
Mike Welch - 2013 Association Executive Vice-President - President Elect
John Council - 2013 Association Secretary
Rick Steeber - 2012-2013 Association Director from the Central District
Vicki Hampton - 2013-2014 Association Director from the Central District
We appreciate your willingness to serve and your dedication to move the association forward!
Spring 2012 Region 5 Conference - A Great Success
AITP Chicago was proud to host the 2012 Region 5 Spring Technology & Networking Conference at the Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows, May 1-2, 2012. With outstanding support from area exhibitors and organizations, the event offered Chicago and Region 5 members exceptional opportunities for education and networking.
Click here for an Information Executive article about the conference.
Highlights of the conference included:
- Breakout Sessions
- Special Networking Session
- Exhibitor Area
- Conference Banquet
- Tuesday and Wednesday Luncheon
- Additional CEU sessions (additional $99 fee for each session)
Topics on the agenda included:
- What is Your IT Organization Really Great At: Customer Intimacy, Operational Excellence or Innovation Leader? - Michael Morsch, Moderator, IT Director, Motorola Solutions
- The Art & Science of a PMO - PMO Special Interest Group (SIG)
- Enterprise (b2b) and Consumer-Facing (b2c) Mobility Solutions - Mobility SIG
- Customer Facing BI - Business Intelligence (BI) SIG
- Preparing the Enterprise for Social Computing - Social Networking SIG
- Running IT Like A Business - Robert Kress, Moderator, COO, Internal IT, Accenture
- Fixing Innovation in the Enterprise - Bernhard Kappe, Moderator, Founder/CEO, Pathfinder Software
- Advanced Malware / Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) - IT Security Special Interest Group (SIG)
- Business Video: An Industry Perspective/Update on a Market with Shocking Growth - Jeff Day, Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Discovering Business Value in Big Data - Dr. Philip Shelley, CTO, Sears Holdings Corporation
- Paradigm Shift: From IT DR to Continuity Risk Management - David Nolan, CEO, Fusion Risk Management
- Getting Yourself Out of IT - Steven Loos, CIO, Wheels, Inc.
- The Business of Technology at Boeing - Kim Hammonds, VP & CIO, the Boeing Company
- What The Future Holds for Mobile Computing In The Enterprise: A forward looking view - Christian Kane
- Networking for Success in the 21st Century - Pat Moroney, President, Technology Leaders Association (TLA)
- Preparing Your Team for High Yield Innovation In The Enterprise: Concept to Implementation - Mark Bills, Managing Director, Project Leadership Associates
- Leadership Training: Preparing For The Future Generation Work Force
- AITP Region Board Meeting and Chapter Leaders Workshop
Conference registration costs were quite reasonsable!
- Hotel reservation deadline was April 15.
- Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows
- 3405 Algonquin Road
- Rolling Meadows, IL 60008
- The group rate was $89 Single or Double
- The rate was available 3 days prior and post conference for those who wished to arrive early or extend their stay
The Winning Tradition Continues
National College Conference-2012
Region 5 Score Many Winners
With 775 attendees, the 2012 National Collegiate Conference (NCC) was the largest since 2006. And Region 5 was well represented with the following universities and colleges in attendance:
Central Michigan University
Eastern Illinois University
Ferris State University
Fox Valley Technical College
Gateway Technical College-Racine
Gateway Technical College-Kenosha
ITT Technical Institute-Green Bay
Kalamazoo Valley Community College
Madison Area Technical College
Mid-State Technical College-Stevens Point
Mid-State Technical College-Wisconsin Rapids
Milwaukee Area Technical College
Oakton Community College
Scott Community College
University of Southern Indiana
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Waukesha County Technical College
And while ALL our student members from Region 5 and their faculty advisors who attended are winners in my book, here is the list of those who brought home the awards:
Robert Half Scholarship (only two given out)
Rebecca Duxler, Illinois State University
TOP Monkey Award (given to the college with the greatest level of participation)
Gateway Technical College (Racine/Kenosha) - 33 students and faculty that traveled 1,260 miles one way and entered 36 contests/competitions.
Runner Up: Purdue University
AITP Faculty Advisor of the Year Award
Vicki Hampton, Eastern Illinois University
See this article: http://www.aitp.org/news/88576/Vicki-Hampton-Named-AITP-Outstanding-Faculty-Advisor.htm
AITP Volunteer of the Year
Larry Friedlander, St Louis Chapter
Microsoft Technical Associate (MTA) Exam High Scores
1st – Greg Peyton, Waukesha County Technical College
3rd – Brian Rabbit, Waukesha County Technical College
Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals (ICCP) Exam Top Score
1st – Emily Rastl, University of Southern Indiana
Note: The top student score is the George Eggert Memorial Award
Student Chapter Banner Contest
2nd – Fox Valley Technical College
3rd – University of Southern Indiana
Student Chapter Shirt Contest
2nd – Gateway Technical College-Racine
Microsoft Office Solutions
1st – Jeff Van Vorst, Emily Rastl – University of Southern Indiana
Systems Analysis & Design
2nd – Suruchi Shah, Daniel Rouleau – Purdue University
HM – Justin Steinback, Aaron Valandra – University of Southern Indiana
3rd – Greg Peyton, Aaron Howell – Waukesha County Technical College
HM – Troy Davis, Matt Kelly – Purdue University
Data Base Design
1st – Suruchi Shah, Daniel Rouleau – Purdue University
HM – Nick Conforti, Eric Daugharty – Purdue University
HM – Nick Escobedo, Dan Pasatori – University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
HM – Matt Kelly, Jared Parrish – Purdue University
HM – Zakary Zimmerman, Jacob Aronstam – Purdue University
2nd – Thomas Bossier, Donavan Kay – Eastern Illinois University
3rd – Caitlin Wilson – Eastern Illinois University
2nd – Caleb Rouleau, Dave Helms – Purdue University
HM – Dan Pastori, Nick Escobedo – University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
RPG Enterprise Web
1st – Eric Kraft, Joseph Bergles – Gateway Technical College-Kenosha
2nd – Dawn Franco, Dallas Egnor – Mid-State Technical College-Wisconsin Rapids
3rd – Michelle Kincaid, Annie Fahy – Gateway Technical College-Kenosha
HM – Rebecca Gement, Cynthia Salvatore – Gateway Technical College-Kenosha
1st – Oakton Community College
3rd – Kalamazoo Valley Community College
HM – University of Southern Indiana
2nd – Gabriel Afton – Ferris State University
3rd – Tony Bortz – Madison Area Technical College
HM – Justin O’Briean – Gateway Technical College-Racine
Again, congratulations to all who participated. Once again, Region 5 students proved to be the "best of the best".
For a list of all the winners, sponsors and participating colleges and universities, see www.aitp.org/ncc.
And next year, the National Collegiate Conference will be right here in Region 5 (St. Louis) and drivable for all our student chapters. So save those dates of April 4-7, 2013 and plan to "Meet me in St. Louie, Louie!"
Larry Schmitz, CCP, CMC
AITP Region 5 President
Twin City Named 2011 Region 5 Outstanding Professional Chapter
For the third year in a row, the Twin City Chapter in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois was awarded the Region 5 Region Outstanding Chapter Award (ROCA) from among the Chapter Outstanding Performance Award (COPA).
Chapters are evaluated in six areas: Association support, Region support, support of future generations, local community involvement, business community involvement, and efforts in developing their chapter. Top chapters always seem to excel in supporting the Association and Region, their student chapters, the National Collegiate Competition (NCC), the Foundation for Information Technology Education (FITE), the AITP Education Special Interest Group (EDSIG) and the Information Systems Educators Conference (ISECON). In essence, top chapters are actively involved in providing value to the AITP membership and their community.
Congratulations to 2011 Twin City Chapter President Gina Canfield, the Twin City Chapter Board of Directors and the entire chapter membership.
The Twin City Chapter now joins the other Region ROCA winners to compete for the Association Outstanding Chapter Award (AOCA) to be awarded later this year.
Click here for more information.
Many thanks to the Selection Committee of Bill Riter, Chair, Vicky Danielson and Dick Boenisch for their work on doing the evaluations and selection.
Region 5 Congratulates Outstanding Professional Chapters for 2011
AITP recently announced the recipients of Chapter Outstanding Performance Award (COPA) for the 2011 calendar year.
The Chapter Outstanding Performance Award (COPA) was developed to recognize Chapters for their efforts to become a well-rounded, effective group within their industry, local community and professional association. To qualify for COPA, a chapter must perform at least one qualifying activity in each of the categories of Association, Region, Chapter, Giving Forward, Local Community, and Business Community. Region 5 is proud to have these Outstanding Professional Chapters.
2012 Region 5 NCC Grant Winners Announced
The 2012 AITP National Collegiate Conference (NCC) will be held in San Antonio, TX this year. Region 5 provides grants to Region 5 student chapters to help defray the costs of participating in the NCC.
There were 8 entries received for this year's Region 5 grant. The Region 5 Board of Directors approved four grants of $400 each to be awarded for use in attending the 17th annual conference.
The entries were evaluated on:
- completeness of funding request and updated information on chapter officers and faculty advisor(s) with email addresses posted to chapter's web page on http://www.aitp.org/,
- student chapter activities/accomplishments through the previous year,
- number of students that will be attending the NCC,
- number of competitions and number of teams that the chapter will be entering in the competitions,
- activities undertaken by the student chapters to obtain the funds to cover the costs to attend,
- description of how the funds would be utilized if awarded.
The winners are, in no particular order:
This year's NCC Grant Selection Committee consisted of Vicky Danielson, Illowa Chapter (Moline, IL/Bettendorf, IA.), Mike Hall, Capitol Chapter (Springfield IL); and Richard (Dick) Boenisch, Sheboygan Chapter (Sheboygan, WI) also the chairperson.
Read this Information Executive article for more details. http://www.aitp.org/news/85066/2012-Region-5-NCC-Student-Chapter-Grant-Winners-Announced.htm.
Region 5’s Larry Schmitz In Business Wisconsin’s Professional of the Week
Region 5 congratulates Region President Larry Schmitz for being named In Business Wisconsin's Professional of the Week.
Click here for the full story about one of the great leaders in our industry.
Larry is the currently Region 5 President. He previously served as Association President and as President of the Foundation for Inforamtion Technology Education. Larry credits AITP for advancing his career and contributing to his successes.
Eastern Illinois University Named Region Outstanding Student Chapter of the Year
Region 5 is proud to announce that Eastern Illinois University is the 2010-2011 Region 5 Outstanding Student Chapter of the Year.
Eastern Illinois University was involved in a number of activities at the local, regional and association level. Some of these activities include:
- Members gave presentations and conducted workshops at their school and local area.
- Several members gave presentations to their own chapter.
- Members gave a presentation at the Springfield professional chapter several miles away.
- The chapter received local newspaper coverage of events.
- They utilized their web site and kept information well up to date.
- They had excellent turnout at chapter events.
- Eastern Illinois University sent a team of 5 to the 2011 National Collegiate Conference (NCC).
These activities resulted in continued growth in the membership of the student chapter.
Region 5 congratulates Eastern Illinois University, 2011-12 Student Chapter President Donovan Kay and Faculty Advisor Vicki Hampton on a job very well done! This is their second consecutive Region Outstanding Student Chapter award. Eastern Illinois University is sponsored by the Capitol Chapter.
Click here for a special announcement about this award from the Eastern Illinois University chapter.
Region 5 thanks the selection committee of Dick Boenisch, Christine Leja and Chris Nimmer. The committee was fortunate to have three excellent student chapters to pick from, who last fall earned the Student Chapter Outstanding Performance Award:
Page last updated: 10/30/2012