View from the Top - October 2010 Message from the President
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Posted by: Beth Pirrie
As the fall begins, we are already looking to welcome new leaders to the AITP family. I wanted to extend my personal congratulations to all of the winners of this year's election process, including:
The leadership of this organization is what distinguishes us from other groups. These newly elected leaders are excellent examples of the qualities and passion we look for in our future leaders. We look forward to them joining our meetings and expect great things from them in the immediate future.
- Association Executive Vice President / President-Elect: Norbert Kubilus, Western District, San Diego Chapter (San Diego, CA)
- Association Treasurer: Pete Schmitt, Western District, Puget Sound Chapter (Seattle, WA)
- Association Secretary: Anna Verhoeff, Western District, Cornhusker Chapter (Lincoln, NE)
- Central District Director: John Council, Northeastern Wisconsin Chapter (Appleton/Green Bay, WI)
- Western District Director: Donny Shimamoto, Honolulu Chapter (Honolulu, HI)
- Eastern District Director: Brad Moses, Research Triangle Park Chapter (Raleigh, NC)
- Southern District Director: Julian Wade, Atlanta Chapter (Atlanta, GA)
Now that we have completed electing our National leaders, I would like to announce that we are looking for student members to participate in our Student Leadership Council. The SLC is an appointed committee of students that report to the Board of Directors on behalf of our student membership. Further information can be found in this Information Executive (IE) article.
Please remember the terrific programs our AITP Membership Committee has launched including programs designed at attracting new members.
- We have limited-time reduced membership pricing for unemployed persons through December 31, 2010. Dues are reduced from $105 to $35.
- The highly successful "Top Gun" program continues through November 30th.
- New brochures, forms, and instructions have been posted about our Enterprise Membership Program at the Classes of Membership Page.
- The Membership Committee also encourages existing AITP members to take the opportunity to participate in the multi-year membership program. Details on this highly successful program can be found here.
- The Student Member promotion, which provides a nearly 30% savings on dues, continues through October 31.
Our Education Special Interest Group (EDSIG) is holding their annual ISECON conference October 28 - October 31 in Nashville, Tennessee. ISECON (Information Systems Educators Conference) is THE conference to attend to learn about and contribute to the latest trends and issues in the Information Systems academic field. Topics include pedagogy, enrollment trends, outcomes assessment and improving IS education. ISECON is held in conjunction with CONISAR 2010. ISECON focuses on IS Education. CONISAR focuses on IS Applied Research. Registrants for CONISAR can freely attend ISECON functions and vice versa. Complete details of the event and information on how to register can be found at www.isecon.org.
Remember to save the date for the 2011 Members Summit, co-located with the National College Conference March 24 - 27, 2011 in Orlando, Florida. As always, this event will be the one "must attend" event for professional members looking to grow professionally and expand their individual AITP chapter and region. Complete details will be announced in the coming months. Look to www.aitp.org for up to date information.
With three months remaining on my term, there is still much to be accomplished. We are diligently working on completing objectives from this year's strategic plan, as well as working with a great team to develop our Strategic Plan for 2011. As always, it is important that each and every member is heard and if you have comments or questions regarding the focus and drive of this organization, I encourage you to contact me at any time. It is my honor and pleasure to serve you as President of AITP, I look forward to closing my term with a bang and I certainly appreciate all of your support.