Vicki Hampton Named AITP Outstanding Faculty Advisor
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Posted by: Teresa Hickerson, AITP Student Awards Chair
AITP is fortunate to have talented educators serve as advisors to AITP student chapters all over the country. They willingly donate many hours to assure that their students receive a broader education than they receive in the classroom alone. AITP annually recognizes an advisor who has exemplified the highest ideals of his/her profession.
The 2010-2011 AITP Outstanding Faculty Advisor is Vicki Hampton, Eastern Illinois University.
Some comments from those who nominated this year's winner:
"When I joined AITP, I only knew one person in the group. I showed up on a whim to a meeting and was first greeted by Vicki. I wasn't much of a talker but she refused to have it otherwise. The fact she cared enough to talk to me, sold me, and I subsequently joined. Vicki has always pushed me to go further. After joining AITP she recommended I go to NCC. I found it to be a monumental experience in my life. I have been privileged to work with her on improving AITP and I know that, thanks to her philosophy of hard work and taking that extra step, there is much I can accomplish not just in AITP but in every aspect of my life.”
"Vicki is a tireless promoter for our chapter. Whenever there is a meeting or an event she always informs the students. Vicki does not treat AITP as just a club you can occasionally rub elbows with recruiters or take tours; she treats AITP as what it should be: a catalyst for professional development for our members.”
- 2009-2010 Brenda Wilz, Fox Valley Technical College
- 2008-2009 Dr. Scott Hunsinger (Appalachian State University) & Kevin Jetton (Texas State University – San Marcos)
- 2007-2008 *not awarded*
- 2006-2007 Dawn Pantaleo, Kalamazoo Valley Community College
- 2005-2006 *not awarded*
- 2004-2005 *not awarded*
- 2003-2004 *not awarded*
- 2002-2003 Jim Cappell, Ph.D., Central Michigan University
- 2001-2002 Barbara Russell, Northwestern State University
- 2000-2001 Robert Brzycki, Milwaukee Area Technical College -West Campus
- 1999-2000 Yvonne Antonucci, Ph.D., Widener University
- 1998-1999 George Fowler, Ph.D., Texas A&M University
- 1997-1998 Larry Cornwell, Ph.D. , Bradley University
- 1996-1997 Teresa Hickerson, Cameron University
- 1995-1996 Ernest Nolan, University of Southern Indiana
- 1994-1995 Brian Reithel, Ph.D., University of Mississippi
Criteria for this award:
- The AITP student chapter must have earned SCOPA for the previous two years.
- The faculty advisor must have served a minimum of two years.
- The faculty advisor must have demonstrated a desire to enhance the professional development of the students in his/her charge. Examples of this would be to regularly take students to IT professional functions, meetings & conferences, encourage students to compete in local, regional and national contest events.