How To Start A Chapter
Chapters are the heart of AITP and provide opportunities for networking with other IT professionals, continuous learning programs, involvement in community activities and more. If there is not a local AITP chapter in your area, you may start one. A minimum of 10 members is required and individuals must be willing to serve as officers of the Chapter. There are documents listed below that are required for starting a Professional or Student Chapter.
For more information about starting an AITP chapter, please contact AITP Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 800-224-9371.
The following documents/items are needed to start a Professional Chapter:
- Application for Chapter Charter
- Chapter Bylaws (see model bylaws)
- Documentation of Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- To obtain an EIN for a new chapter apply online via the IRS website
- OR fill out the Internal Revenue Form SS-4 and submit directly to the IRS.
The following documents/items are needed to start a Student Chapter:
- Chapter Affiliation Application
- Model Student Bylaws
- List of Chapter Officers
- Letter from the Principal, Dean or other superior administrative official attesting that the Student Chapter meets the requirements for a student organization at the school, college or university.
- Letter of acceptance from the Sponsoring Professional Chapter signed by the Chapter President. Visit our website to find a Professional Chapter for a sponsor.
- Transmittal form with no less than 10 members. Students can join as individual members of their region and opt to pay by check or can pay with a credit card. Once the chapter is created students can be added as members of that group.
- Dues are $30 per member and are collected each year.